Searching on here, seems like the appropriate notation for Normal distribution is \mathcal{N}, which looks like: Normal distribution

However, if I use \mathcal{Ga} for Gamma distribution, it looks like this: Gamma notations which is clearly wrong. Wikipedia uses \Gamma. However, I'm using the Gamma function elsewhere in my paper so I want the Gamma distribution to use a different symbol. Any recommendations here?

  • 1
    Why not just $\mathcal{G}$? I guess that the a is not in the calligraphic font you use.
    – mickep
    Feb 18, 2022 at 11:44
  • Many math-script and math-caligraphic fonts don't provide glyphs for lowercase letters. As a result, the output of $\mathcal{a}$ is not specified for these fonts.
    – Mico
    Feb 18, 2022 at 11:49
  • Thanks for the replies. I guess I can simply use $\mathcal{G}$. It's just that I've seen \Gamma(a, b), Ga(a, b) and Gam(a, b) in terms of notations, but not G(a, b).
    – stevew
    Feb 19, 2022 at 3:23


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .