I am writing software that shall be able to handle bib entries, and I am very confused about which entry types exist and which don't. I'm trying to find a canonical list of entry types. I can find lists with entry types, but I found at least 5 different lists. (see below)
Another problem is, that existing software (overleaf, zotero), but also websites of publishers seem to have implemented different lists, so that maybe a website creates a bib entry with entry type "online", but when you want to use it in overleaf, you'll get an error.
- Which entry types do really exist and which are just fantasies of some people?
What I've found out so far:
There seem to be at least two different sets of possible entry types for bibtex entries. Of both of them exist variations:
short list with 13 (or 14) entry types
This is one list, it contains 13 common entry types:
- article, book, booklet, inbook, incollection, inproceedings, manual, mastersthesis, misc, phdthesis, proceedings, techreport, unpublished
You can find this list at bib-it.sourceforge.net. A similar list is published at newton.ex.ac.uk. But it is different from the first list, it also adds the entry type "conference" to this list, mentioning that it is a synonym for "inproceedings".
In this answer to another question someone posted a similar list with also 13 entry types. But while conference is included, phdthesis is missing. And I guess that there are even more different versions of this short list out there.
long list with 51 entry types
(30 or 31 normal entry types, 6 additional synonymes and 15 or 16 additional entry types that are either "non-standard" or "unsupported")
- article, book, mvbook, inbook, bookinbook, suppbook, booklet, collection, mvcollection, incollection, suppcollection, dataset, manual, misc, online, patent, periodical, suppperiodical, proceedings, mvproceedings, inproceedings, reference, mvreference, inreference, report, set, software, thesis, unpublished, xdata, custom[a–f]
But the entry type "software" is missing in the German version of the same document (pdf).
In these documents from ctan.org the entry types mastersthesis, phdthesis and techreport from the short list are here listed among the synonymes of other entries:
- conference = inproceedings
- electronic = online
- mastersthesis = thesis where type defaults to "Master’s thesis"
- phdthesis = thesis where type defaults to "PhD thesis"
- techreport = report where type defaults to "technical report"
- www = online
Finally ctan.org lists also "Non-standard Types" in the English documentation but "Unsupported Types" in the German version of the same document (original: "Nicht unterstützte Typen") which all are treated as synonyms of the entry type "misc":
- artwork, audio, bibnote, commentary, image, jurisdiction, legislation, legal, letter, movie, music, performance, review, standard, video
The German version also lists "software" here as unsupported type.