What's the command for displaying <receive>, <reply> and so on as appearing in the following picture?

enter image description here

  • 1
    – egreg
    Jul 26, 2012 at 9:48
  • 1
    perhaps \verb|...| is better if say _ occurs in the text
    – daleif
    Jul 26, 2012 at 9:55
  • 7
    Why close votes as "too localized"? This question sure is extremely basic of nature and should be covered in about every introduction to LaTeX, but it's not too localized -- it rather is extremely widely applicable.
    – doncherry
    Jul 26, 2012 at 13:03
  • @doncherry: I'm not for closing, but downvoting: The question shows no research effort: Reading any introduction to LaTeX would answer it. Sep 9, 2012 at 21:44

1 Answer 1


The "typewriter type" font is obtained by


In case your input contains special characters, such as % or _, you can use


where the two bars can be any other non special character that doesn't appear in the string.

Every good introduction to LaTeX covers the topic.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .