0

Recently, I opened MikTex Console in a machine running on Ubuntu 18.04 to check for updates and several dozen of available updates were listed. I accepted them all and successfully updated everything that the console proposed.

However, after said updates, I went back to working in a .tex file I had been using and without changing anything in any of the files, a mere recompilation of my .tex into PDF generated a different rendering of the PDF. Basically, the letter spacing changed and the caption font increased.

For comparison, here's a paragraph rendered before/after the many updates were performed:

enter image description here enter image description here

And here's a table caption rendered before/after the many updates were performed:

enter image description here

enter image description here

While those changes may seem small they are enough to completely mess up the editing I was doing in this .tex file. Therefore, my questions:

(1) what is going on here? May be some fonts got weirdly updated? The compilation log shows that main font used is \T1/ntxtlf/m/n/12.

(2) how could I fix this and revert back to the prior status quo? It is rather upsetting that updating packages will change aesthetic rendering of PDFs.

Any suggestions are welcome.

5
  • Welcome. // Can you please Edit your question and show the preamble you use? The packages you use could be related to your question.
    – MS-SPO
    Aug 3 at 4:33
  • @MS-SPO thanks for your comment. I can do better than that, actually. Here's the template I am using: overleaf.com/latex/templates/… (I did not modify anything in it before or after updating the several packages via MikTex Console)
    – light
    Aug 3 at 5:15
  • 2
    I won't start to debug an overleaf project. As you have the possibility to compare the output, you can create a minimal example and post it here. If it is a change in the fontsetup it should be easy as you can remove everything apart from an example paragraph and the font related packages. Aug 3 at 7:15
  • @light Remember that Stack Exchange is a Q&A site, so the point is to have self-contained questions that remain usable in the future. Making the question rely on an external link that obviously will change defeats the purpose of the site.
    – Miyase
    Aug 3 at 8:41
  • Urelated but (both versions of) DependentVariable are painful to read, never use math italic for words, it is designed for a product of 1-letter variables. Use \log(\mathit{_DependentVariable}_{t-1}+1) Aug 3 at 12:01

0

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.