I'm sorry since I know this question has both been asked and answered before here, but I really am not good with computers and learning latex in itself has already been quite overwhelming. My question is: how do I write lowercase letters in \mathscr or \mathcal style?

I am using Overleaf and the packages used in other answers seem to not work there.

Please, if possible, use simple techniques, when I see a lot of code I simply don't understand what is going on :(

Thanks everyone!!

  • 2
    Welcome to TeX.SE! Can you show us the code you have tried so far and can you show an image of what you want to get?
    – Mensch
    Dec 11, 2022 at 21:10
  • Please provide a bit more information about "the packages used in other answers" you've tried.
    – Mico
    Dec 11, 2022 at 21:25
  • Yes, I tried each package from this question: tex.stackexchange.com/questions/231322/… Dec 12, 2022 at 1:06

1 Answer 1


It is true that the (vast?) majority of math-script and math-calligraphic font shapes provide only uppercase letters. For some math font packages that provide these font shapes for lowercase letters as well, please see the pages 8 thru 10 in the user guide of the mathalpha package.

Do also note that the terminology of what's a "calligraphic" or a "script" font shape isn't fully standardized. One working definition is that "script" letters are more heavily sloped than "calligraphic" letters are; however, do be aware that this is just one, and certainly not universally accepted, possible definition.

After perusing the user guide of the mathalpha package in the manner suggested above, I came up with the following choice: esstix for \mathcal and \boondox for \mathscr. Again, let me emphasize that this is just one particular possible choice. Others may come up with other choices.

enter image description here

\usepackage[scr=boondox,  % heavily sloped
            cal=esstix]   % slightly sloped
$\mathscr{abcABC} \quad \mathcal{abcABC}$
  • 2
    I would characterize script as more "curly", not necessarily more heavily sloped. Calligraphic has a more "reserved" appearance, without a lot of flourishes and curlicues. Dec 12, 2022 at 0:48
  • This definitely did work, thank you so much!! Dec 12, 2022 at 1:17
  • @barbarabeeton - Thanks for this additional pointer. I guess I was associating, in my mind, more heavily sloped letters with "curlier" letters, and vice versa. For sure, this association is not all that precise in practice.
    – Mico
    Dec 12, 2022 at 14:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .