I've been having compatibility issues when using MikTeX with WinEDT on a Windows 7 laptop. More particularly, when I go to open certain .tex documents that someone else has been working on with a different computer and editor, strange characters appear in the file where they shouldn't, e.g. the Â character occurring in the middle of "maximum" like this "maxiÂ-mum". And when I try to build the .tex document, it fails and gives errors such as:
! Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined (inputenc) in inputencoding `latin1'.
Looking on this site, I found this question which seems to be about the same problem I'm having Kile document doesn't work well in WinEdt. How do I convert it? However, I tried some of the suggestions mentioned there but I couldn't get them to work. First I tried downloading TeXStudio, which was mentioned in one of the comments as being able to work with UTF-8 encoding, but I still get problems with this. Specifically, the strange characters no longer appear in the .tex file when I open it in TeXStudio, but if I build a pdf, the strange characters now appear in the .pdf file. I also tried opening the .tex files in WinEDT using the UTF-8 option, and although the strange characters don't appear in the .tex document when I do this, it still won't build and returns the same errors that I get when I don't open it using the UTF-8 option.
If anyone knows a TeX editor that is more compatible than WinEDT or has an idea of how I can fix the issues I've been having WinEDT or TeXStudio, it would be much appreciated!
utf8. But stop to change your files you can confuse the encoding completly. I hope you still have the original files. Compile them at first without changing anything, then check the pdf and look how non-ascii chars where printed. If they did come out right then you will know from the
inputencoption the encoding of the file and can start to figure out how to tell it winedt. Btw: Absolutly no encoding problem will insert funny chars in the middle of
maximum. It must already have been there (e.g. as accent or non breakable space).
maximumI think that the original files are incorrect and that you will already get errors with the original files. Beside this you should mention which winedt version you are using. There have been major changes between winedt 6 and 7.