I am trying to achieve the formatting of Eq. 29 shown in the figure below. Specifically:
1. this is a long equation that occurs in the right column of a two-column document
2. the equation is typeset to span both columns
3. the text in the left column before the equation continues BELOW the equation
I have tried the following strategies suggested on TeX.SE and other sites, and none of them produce the desired result. I include an image of the result to show why each is unsatisfactory for my application.
1. Using the strip environment from the cuted package: the text of the equation overlaps the text in the left-column (specifically, it overlaps a footnote)
and in other examples I have seen of this (below image is annotated from How to create the long equations in two columns paper) the text flows from left column to right above the equation and then left to right below the equation, which is not the desired flow I am after.
2. Placing the equation in a figure* environment: this causes the equation to float so it doesn't appear where it is discussed (note that Eq. 26 floats to the next page and therefore shows up after Eq. 27)
3. Using a minipage: to make this appear in the right location I have to use a kludge and insert it earlier in the document, which makes the equation numbering incorrect (I imagine I could add insult to injury by fiddling with the equation counter back and forth, but I was hoping for a solution that didn't require two wrong turns to make a right), it also overlaps the text in the right column.
4. Using the multicol package: all of the examples I have seen for this approach (e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/a/33022911/1181402) show the text flows from the left-column to the right column above the equation and then restart in the left column below the equation, which is not the desired text flow. Moreover, when I tried to use it, it also had the undesired side effect of transforming the single-column foot-notes span two columns.
Any suggestions for achieving the desired formatting shown in the first image?