I'm citing an in-text reference using natbib and a Harvard-style. The way I've constructed the sentence indicates possession, for example:

Smith et al.'s (2009) recent study ...

What I get when using \citet{} is:

Smith et al. (2009) recent study ...

Is there a way to add the apostrophe and s in this context? I tried placing it in the square brackets \citet[][]{} but that doesn't work.

  • 3
    You can always rewrite; "The recent study by Smith et al. (2009)..." – Arturo Magidin Jan 3 '11 at 5:27
  • True, but in something the length of a dissertation it's nice to be able to vary the sentence structure. – Steve Jan 3 '11 at 7:20
  • See also the answers to this question. – lockstep Feb 18 '11 at 22:12
  • Very similar concept to tex.stackexchange.com/questions/6613 – Joseph Wright Feb 18 '11 at 22:46

It's not exactly pretty (especially if you're using hyperlinks or backreferences), but you could use \citeauthor{key}'s \citeyearpar{key}.

If you do this a lot you could define a command:

\newcommand{\citetapos}[1]{\citeauthor{#1}'s \citeyearpar{#1}}

That way you could avoid having to insert the key twice.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    That's great frabjous, thanks a lot. I added some text color to make the apostrophe blend in with the rest of the hyperlink: \newcommand{\citetapos}[1]{\citeauthor{#1}{\textcolor{blue}{'s}} \citeyearpar{#1}} – Steve Jan 3 '11 at 7:21
  • 2
    Just be careful using this with authors whose names end with 's'. – Alan Munn Jan 3 '11 at 15:00
  • Good point - it would be better to deal with those 'manually' - using separate /citeauthor and \citeyearpar commands. – Steve Jan 3 '11 at 16:16
  • 2
    I don't see the problem. It is perfectly acceptable to add 's to proper names ending in s. In fact, some grammar guides recommend that: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – frabjous Jan 3 '11 at 16:31
  • Fair enough, though I think it looks odd to do that - it's just the way i've been taught. Good to know that it's not a grammatical 'error' at least. – Steve Jan 3 '11 at 17:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.