Is there a circle symbol for the composition of two functions? Or do I have to resort to using other ways to represent that?

  • 54
    just as a tip, Wikipedia uses LaTeX style markup for their functions. When your press the edit button you can see :<math>(f\circ f)(x) = f(f(x)) = f^2(x)</math> ;) Commented Jan 5, 2011 at 8:43
  • 3
    Just for reference, there is also a filled circle in math mode: $\bullet$. Commented Aug 31, 2018 at 14:00
  • 1
    Thanks @ChristianHerenz! The filled circle was exactly what I was looking for.
    – paldepind
    Commented Sep 9, 2018 at 13:15

2 Answers 2


It's \circ:

\( f \circ f \)

Probably this is a good chance to recall the Detexify website, where you can simply draw the symbol you want, and obtain the needed code.

I'm a bad illustrator, but for me, after drawing the circle, \circ was the first hit.

  • 9
    I'd like to add that I tried to find this symbol with detexify but I failed as I found many other similar looking symbols but not \circ. I actually needed to google "latex combine function symbol", to find this question.
    – ohcibi
    Commented May 15, 2016 at 17:40
  • 5
    Would be great if detexify could use context, so you could draw f o g.
    – OJFord
    Commented Feb 26, 2017 at 4:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .