How can one define the bond length for a ring system in chemfig? **6(-[,0.5]-[,0.5]-[,0.5]-[,0.5]-[,0.5]-[,0.5]) does not work, sadly.


The answer provided resizes the ring system, but not the circle within it, on my system. Here's my configuration:

\usepackage[landscape, top=0.3cm, left=0.1cm, right=0.3cm, bottom=0.3cm]{geometry}                % See geometry.pdf to learn the layout options. There are lots.
\geometry{letterpaper}                   % ... or a4paper or a5paper or ... 
\usepackage{chemfig, chemmacros}
\DeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{`convert #1 `dirname #1`/`basename #1 .tif`.png}

  • Do you only want a smaller benzene or is the smaller benzene part of a larger molecule where the rest has it's original size? – cgnieder Nov 25 '12 at 19:12
  • I want a smaller one. I'm looking to insert molecules inline with text. – CHM Nov 25 '12 at 19:21
  • Please, if you use mhchem for your chemical formulas and also use chemmacros load the latter with \usepackage[method=mhchem]{chemmacros}. – cgnieder May 7 '13 at 9:34

You can set the bond length at the begining of the ring:


gives a ring with half lengthed bonds.

EDIT: this work also with **n syntax. For example

\chemfig{A-**6([,0.5]------)} \chemfig{A-**6(------)}


enter image description here

  • Oh nice. But then the circle doesn't change size :/ I'm using the **n syntax. – CHM Nov 25 '12 at 19:34
  • It also work with **n syntax (see edit in my previous post) – unbonpetit Nov 25 '12 at 20:12
  • Hmm.. It doesn't work in my case. Weird! – CHM Nov 25 '12 at 20:22
  • Why don't you post a mwe? – unbonpetit Nov 25 '12 at 20:24
  • 1
    A mwe is a Minimal Working Example. Your preamble is not the most important here.Just post the code of your molecule (which does not work). But before that, check you have the latest version of chemfig. – unbonpetit Nov 25 '12 at 20:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.