I've found several questions about editors for writing LaTeX documents ( LaTeX Editors/IDEs seems to be the definitive one). But I'd like to know which editors are out there that help you develop LaTeX packages or classes; editors that make it easier to program in LaTeX; a completely different activity.
When I'm programming I don't really care about symbol lookup, instant previews, SyncTeX or anything like that. I'd be more interested in features such as those in the following non-exhaustive list:
- an integrated build system and syntax highlighter that understand
- smart auto-complete that draws from included packages
- hyper-linking between command definitions and usages
- tool-tips that show command documentation
- native support for
latex3and the like (in some shape or form)
- step-by-step expansion preview of selected code (a form of debugging)
- ability to recognize / select tokens (in addition to characters)
\expandafter-helper (you just point, the editor inserts the necessary
- automatic searching on CTAN
Well, I could go on, but you get the point.
I call upon all package authors: Which editor do you like? And why? (One editor per answer, please.)