What font package do I use to get the vertical Russian/German style integral signs? (subject says all)


The German one can be produced with the wasysym package. More precisely, if loaded without arguments, then the package provides a \varint command for the upright integral. If loaded with the integrals option, it overrides the normal \int command.

The integrals from mathabx (it redefines \int) are beckwards slanted when used in inline style and upright when in display style.

(Generally if you look for a symbol, detexify and the comprehensive symbol list are of invaluable help.)

|improve this answer|||||
  • Now why didn't detexify find those when I looked! – Andrew Stacey Aug 4 '10 at 11:57
  • Maybe they are not (yet) in the list of symbols detexify knows about. – Caramdir Aug 4 '10 at 12:40

According to detexify, the German one (upright, according to Wikipedia) is in the font package tipa as the command \textesh, but there it's regarded as a phonetic symbol so is a text character. That means that it won't behave correctly as is in mathematics: that is, it won't stretch and it won't have the limits in the right place. However, it could (probably) be converted to one.

The closest detexify gives for the Russian one is \rbag in the stmaryrd package, but it looks a little odd at the bottom.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.